Monday, January 14, 2013

the catlins, new zealand:

purakaunui bay

About 2-3 hours drive south from Dunedin are the Catlins - a national park full of rugged beaches, forests and farming land. It's right at the bottom of New Zealand, so for me, it feels a bit like the edge of the world. From there, it's straight down to Antarctica! There are many wild bays and beaches to explore, plus the Purakaunui Falls, nestled in lush green forest. 

This was my second visit to the area, having been a few years ago, and I was keen to spend time at Purakaunui Bay. It has to be one of favourite spots with it's amazing rugged cliffs - I have never experienced landscape like it.
Andrew used to surf quite a bit around here, so he knows the area quite well which comes in handy for exploring. However, with that said there is still a lot of the area I have to see and look forward to exploring in the future. I highly recommend checking the are out if you are in the Dunedin area, or have a few days to spare to head on down to the wild south. It's definitely worth it.

Next: our little project - the cabin.



purakaunui falls
















looking south, towards the antarctic



2 comments:

  1. amazing photo doc Gemma... your eyes are so atuned to beauty...

    Just wanted to let you know I've awarded you a Liebster Award... if you check out my latest (very belated New Year) post, you can check out the deets...

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...